Monday, March 2, 2015

Giving in, not giving up: My wacky approach to lent



Every year I get the same question: "What are you giving up for lent?"  In the past I have given up facebook, reading for pleasure--by far the hardest thing I have done for lent--TV, and ice cream.  This year I went into it with, really Lord I have to give up something?  Thankfully I prayed about my attitude and what I should give up.  Instead I received a different answer.

Here is pretty much a summary of our conversation:

Instead of giving up something and saying "no" how about saying "yes?"
Well okay God, but that seems too easy.
Just trust me.
Umm..okay God, but you seem to be letting me off easy.

Becoming the "YESwoman"




I am sure he was really laughing at this point (saying yes has been far from easy, but more on that later).  So off I went on what I was sure was my easy journey through the Lenten season.  I have never seen the movie Yes Man but from the synopsis that is pretty much that I am doing.  I won't go into detail too much of what I am doing, but I have meet some extraordinary people these last few weeks.  I have had a glimpse at the ministry that Jesus must have had, and it has deepened my appreciation to a whole new level.  In the last few weeks I have met all kinds of wonderful people from all walks of life and have had my eyes opened to their pain.  I am so thankful for such an amazing Saviour and I am really glad I know him.  In just the first few weeks of this Lenten season I have had my world shaken, and I cannot wait to see what the rest will bring.

Peace and Love to you all!  (I know I sound like a hippie)   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment