Pinterest Fact, Fiction, or Fix? Glazed Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread

So I was browsing through pinterest yesterday and I found a friend had posted the recipe for a Glazed Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread.  I looked at the recipe and saw that it was low in flour and decided to try it.  To find the original recipe you can click on the link here.

Picture from lovelylittlekitchen.com

Well I made it and this is how it turned out:



Sadly most of it ended up in the garbage.  There was such a strong taste of vegetable oil that it completely ruined the rest of the ingredients.  It want to put out there that my vegetable oil was old, so that may have been part of the problem, but it also lacked a certain sweetness. I decided that this was definitely a fixable recipe, so in an attempt to fix it (and still remain partially healthy) I changed the vegetable oil to coconut oil and added honey:

GLAZED APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL BREAD
Author: Amber Dean inspired by lovelylittlekitchen.com
Makes: 1 loaf
 
Ingredients:
Dry Mixture
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
Wet Mixture
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 cup honey
Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (add more if needed to thicken)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
Directions:
Mix all of the Dry mixture ingredients together and let them rest.  Pre-heat oven to 350. Then mix all of the wet ingredients. Slowly combine wet ingredients in the dry mixture.  Mix until both are properly combined. Do not over mix.  Put in a greased bread pan and bake for approx 45 mins.  Take out and cool.  
This is what the new loaf looked like:
Unglazed

 While the bread is cooling mix up the glaze and apply to the top if the bread after 20 mins.  This will fill in the cracks and keep it moist.


Prepping the glaze

 I forgot to take a picture of it glazed before I took a bite.  Oops!

With glaze

 Testing the fix.  All in all way better.

Time to dig in!





Consensus:
I liked my version so much better.  Will I make it again?  Probably not.  It was super moist and filling, but it was not sweet enough for my tastes.  However, this recipe would be good if you think banana bread is too sweet.
Overall this was a good Pinterst fix :)
 

Comments

Popular Posts